Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reviews: Malabrigo Sock/Berroco Sox Metallic/Knit Light

I've wanted to do product reviews for a while now but haven't had time. Actually I also wasn't sure what I would say about any given yarn. After all, having touched and sniffed the yarn before purchasing it (yes I sniff yarn), I pretty much already knew I liked it. Nevertheless I'm going to give this a try.

First up Malabrigo Sock: The yarn is a very squishy 3-ply light fingering weight and retails for about $19 for 440yds; 100% Superwash Merino Wool. One skein should be enough for an adult pair of socks but you may want an extra skein if you want longer socks.

Ok full disclosure time, I'm addicted to sock yarn. I just love that weight of yarn and not just for socks but for lace shawl/scarf patterns as well. When Malabrigo Sock arrived at one of my local LYSs I jumped on it. I now have 4 skeins. The colors are incredible and I don't think the pictures online do the colors justice. They are very rich but not too busy. The colors are so amazing that you can enjoy them in skein or ball form without ever knitting them up. I struggled to decide on a pattern worthy of my Malabrigo Sock but I've reminded myself that there is plenty of yarn out there so I don't have to hoard. That said I cast on for Wendy Johnson's Lacy Rib Socks from Socks from the Toe Up and I love the way they are turning out. The yarn is very soft, not at all splitty. I have found one knot so far which really surprised me but I'm not bothered by that.

Next up Berroco Sox Metallic: Fingering / 4 ply, 380 yds; 73% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon, 2% Metallic. This yarn retails for about $15

I’ve always been a little wary of yarns spun with shiny metallic thread. In part because I just don’t like shiny fabric but also because the metallic seems to be a bit rough. It reminds me of gray hair (of which I am increasingly familiar). Sox Metallic is very pretty and softer after its been in the wash. Oh and it seems to hold up well in the washing machine. The color palette is fun and there are a few additional colors I would like to try out. I’m hoping that the Sox Metallic color palette expands perhaps to more subtlety variegated hues. This yarn knits up very nicely with great stitch definition.

Knit Light™from Nancy’s Knit Knacks retails for about $12. I was very excited about this product and bought it a few months ago. Unfortunately it is not as easy to use as I had hoped. It comes with a neck strap but is difficult to angle properly. I find myself adjusting it constantly. I think it will be easier to use with practice. On a positive note it is very lightweight and comes in a convenient little cardboard tube so I just keep it in my knitting bag. It also doubles as a pointer light so even if I don’t use it for knitting I can always use it when I’m giving a PowerPoint presentation. In an effort to save my eyesight I’m going to make more of an effort to use it.

I have a number of new skeins of yarn: Mother's Day and birthday gifts and my sister is sending me some linen from her stash as well as some choice finds from the Webs Tent Sale. I'm really looking forward to knitting with linen so I will likely review that yarn next.

Happy knitting everyone.

No comments: